As so much of what we do in our day to day lives are online and on digital devices, we need to be aware and always mindful of the risks associated with using devices that have the capability to take photographs or films at sessions.
Great Waves Swimming Academy is committed to maintaining the safety of everyone at their sessions and this includes ensuring that any photographs or filming taken at the session has the consent of the parent, guardian or adult swimmer themselves.
Swimming is a life skill and is hugely enjoyed by swimmers and spectators alike. We acknowledge that when achievements are made, it is important to document these and Great Waves Swimming Academy offers complimentary underwater photographs twice per academic term.
The aim of this policy is as follows:
- Detail the requirements of a Photography and Filming Policy.
- Detail Great Waves Swimming Academy Responsibilities.
- Detail Staff Responsibilities.
- Parent/ Guardian swimmer consent forms.
- Provide information on Great Waves Swimming Academy’s handling of photography.
Photography and filming policy requirements
Great Waves Swimming Academy has chosen to implement photography and filming policy to safeguard all swimmers and staff who attend a Great Waves Swimming Academy lesson. It is imperative that all individuals can attend a lesson without being photographed unknowingly and this policy is in place to mitigate this.
Great Waves Swimming Academy places the emphasis on offering a choice whether a parent/guardian would like their child(ren)/ themselves to be photographed or filmed during their swimming lesson. We recognise that not all swimmers will want to be photographed and so advocate for choice and consent.
Great Waves Swimming Academy also operates a no spectator photography policy on poolside. Although the majority of photographs or films taken of swimmers will be used in good faith, it must be acknowledged that images of children and adults can be misused. The sharing of images without consent may be a betrayal of confidence and could present a risk to an individual. Great Waves Swimming Academy asks that the following be observed:
- No photographs or films to be taken by spectators on poolside before, during, or after a Great Waves Swimming Academy Lesson.
- No photographs or films to be taken in the changing rooms whilst attending a Great Waves Swimming Academy lesson.
- If there are any concerns regarding any individuals taking photographs or recording films, that this is bought to the attention of a Great Waves Swimming Academy member of staff immediately.
Great Waves Swimming Academy Responsibilities
Great Waves Swimming Academy will endeavour to positively promote this policy to all swimmers, spectators and staff. Great Waves Swimming Academy will promote the following as part of its responsibilities.
- Will train Staff Members in this policy on an annual basis.
- Will positively promote no poolside or changing room photography at all swimming pool sites. This will be done through the following:
- Through signs and documents around poolside.
- Through terms and conditions
- Through open dialogue and discussions with parents, swimmers and staff about the importance of safeguarding.
- Vigilance at sessions. Being aware that photographs or videos may be taken and stopping this from happening if identified.
As part of a number of complimentary services offered by Great Waves Swimming Academy, twice per academic term, parent/guardians or adult swimmers have the choice of whether they would like a complimentary free of charge underwater photograph.
This underwater photograph is taken as part of the swimming lesson by a member of the Great Waves Swimming Academy team. The procedure for enabling underwater photographs are as follows:
- On initial sign-up to Great Waves Swimming Academy, customers are offered the option to consent to photographs taken during lessons. If a customer consents, Great Waves Swimming Academy is able to take and store photographs of the swimmer in question, as per this policy. If a customer does not consent, no photographs will be taken or stored by Great Waves Swimming Academy.
- A parent/ guardian or adult swimmer can provide or withdraw photography consent at any point.
- When underwater photographs are planned, customers will receive communication prior to the photography date via email and they will also be spoken to at the pool about the opportunity. Those swimmer’s who do not currently have consent for photographs will be contacted to explain the process of underwater photography and will be give the option to consent if they would like to have a photograph taken.
- During the underwater photography session, care will be taken by the team member to ensure no other individual is in a swimmer’s photograph.
- Photographs are securely stored as below and emailed to the lead parent/guardian or adult swimmer in a timely fashion after the photography takes place.
- Photographs are not shared or used on social media, used for advertising purposes or placed onto any other online forum and are deleted after they have been sent out.
Great Waves Swimming Academy Staff Responsibilities
All Great Waves Swimming Academy Staff have the responsibility to keep everyone safe and ensure that the policy is maintained and upheld. All Great Waves Swimming Academy staff are aware of the safeguarding implications of photography or filming taken at a session. All staff members are required to report any concerns regarding spectators filming back to management immediately.
Parent/Guardian Photography and Filming Consent Form
From time to time, Great Waves Swimming Academy may offer photographs or videos of swimmers as part of a service. This may include poolside or underwater photography.
In the event that photography/filming will take place, all swimmers involved will require consent before a photo can be taken.
The photography and filming consent required may be included in a swimmer’s initial sign up form or as a separate form completed at a later date to provide consent.
Consent can be withdrawn at any point by emailing email@example.com
Storage of Photographs/ Films
If a parent/guardian or adult swimmer provides consent for a photograph or film to be taken of a swimmer or themselves, Great Waves Swimming Academy recognises the importance of storing and handling the image/film.
The image will be securely stored offline until the image has been sent via email to the parent/ guardian/ adult swimmer. Swimmer images will not be shared on social media or any other online forum. Photographs will not be used for advertising purposes. All other images will be stored securely offline.